Delhi govt slaps show-cause on NGO
New Delhi: The Delhi government has slapped
two show-cause notices on an NGO run by Delhi BJP chief
Vijender Gupta`s wife, days after Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit levelled allegations of irregularities against the
party and linked the opposition leader to the organisation.
The first notice to the NGO, Sampurna, was served last
Wednesday for failing to provide the annual list of governing
body members since its inception in 2000, which the government
said was a violation of provisions of the Society Registration
Act, government sources said.
The notice was issued by Firm and Societies Section of
the Industries department two days after Dikshit alleged that
the NGO headed by Gupta`s wife Shobha Vijender managed to
collect huge sums of money from the BJP-ruled MCD but nobody
knew how the organisation was spending the funds.
The department has directed the NGO to file its reply to
the allegation as well as furnish the list of its governing
body members within 15 days, warning that failing to comply
with the notice will invite action prescribed under the Act.
The second notice was issued on Thursday by the
Industries department after it received a complaint alleging
that the NGO furnished a "false affidavit" to obtain
The complainant, S C Koli, who is the secretary of an NGO
called Jan Adhar Manch, sought action against Sampurna
alleging that the NGO produced a "false affidavit" stating
that none of its members has blood relation with each other,
which is a mandatory norm for any voluntary body to get
The NGO has been told to reply within seven days to the
show-cause notice as to why action should not be taken against
it as per provision of the relevant law.
The complainant has alleged that the NGO is being run
from Gupta`s office premise.
The BJP leader has already served a legal notice to
Dikshit asking her to tender an unconditional apology and
withdraw her statement alleging that the NGO is involved in
He had threatened to file a defamation suit against
Dikshit, claiming her comments damaged his reputation.
Addressing a press conference on Monday last, Dikshit had
alleged that Sampurna managed to collect huge sums of money
from the BJP-ruled MCD but nobody knew how the organisation
was spending the funds. Dikshit had linked Gupta, who himself
is an MCD councillor, to the NGO.
The NGO has denied all the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies
- BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016: Bihar Board Intermediate Class 12 XII Arts Results, BSEB 12th Inter Results 2016, Bihar Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be declared on May 25
- Spectrum cost very high in India, says Sistema