Delhi govt to buy 1100 new low-floor buses for public transport
New Delhi: Delhi government on Monday decided to procure 1,100 low-floor buses at a cost of Rs 330 crore to further augment the public transport system in the national capital.
A decision to procure the buses for the Delhi Transport Corporation was taken at a cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
"We have decided to buy another 1,100 buses as the government is committed to providing a reliable, punctual, comfortable and dependable public transport service in the city," Dikshit said.
Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami said 1,100 buses will be procured in addition to the decision taken last month to buy 625 low-floor buses.
The buses are being procured to replace DTC`s old buses which have completed their prescribed mileage of five lakh kilometres. Currently, DTC is running 1,742 old buses.
"The total fleet size of the DTC will go up by 1,725 buses," he said.
Goswami said plying of old buses was not only causing loss to the DTC but also affecting its image.
He said the supplier of the vehicles will have to carry out their maintenance for 7.50 lakh kilometers run or 12 years` operations, whichever is later.
The DTC has a fleet strength of 5,667 buses, out of which 3,781 are low-floor buses purchased over the last five years. The government plans to increase the number of buses under DTC to 11,000 including buses under the cluster service within the next few years.
Currently, 316 buses are plying under the cluster service being run by private entities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray