Delhi govt to buy 1100 new low-floor buses for public transport
New Delhi: Delhi government on Monday decided to procure 1,100 low-floor buses at a cost of Rs 330 crore to further augment the public transport system in the national capital.
A decision to procure the buses for the Delhi Transport Corporation was taken at a cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
"We have decided to buy another 1,100 buses as the government is committed to providing a reliable, punctual, comfortable and dependable public transport service in the city," Dikshit said.
Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami said 1,100 buses will be procured in addition to the decision taken last month to buy 625 low-floor buses.
The buses are being procured to replace DTC`s old buses which have completed their prescribed mileage of five lakh kilometres. Currently, DTC is running 1,742 old buses.
"The total fleet size of the DTC will go up by 1,725 buses," he said.
Goswami said plying of old buses was not only causing loss to the DTC but also affecting its image.
He said the supplier of the vehicles will have to carry out their maintenance for 7.50 lakh kilometers run or 12 years` operations, whichever is later.
The DTC has a fleet strength of 5,667 buses, out of which 3,781 are low-floor buses purchased over the last five years. The government plans to increase the number of buses under DTC to 11,000 including buses under the cluster service within the next few years.
Currently, 316 buses are plying under the cluster service being run by private entities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter