Delhi govt to frame policy to curb beggary
New Delhi: Delhi government on Thursday said it
will soon frame a new policy to curb beggary in the city and
at the same time facilitate various welfare measures for the
beggars including rehabilitation and shelter for them.
"The government will frame a comprehensive policy to curb
the begging menace in the capital," Delhi Social Welfare
Minister Kiran Walia said at a conference.
Delhi government had faced allegations of rounding up
beggars from the city in the run up to last year`s
According to an estimate by the social welfare department,
there are around 60,000 beggars in Delhi. Of them, 30 per cent
are minors, 69.94 per cent are males and 30.06 per cent are
Walia said while framing the policy, government will
adopt a "humane approach" in dealing with the issue.
She said there are reports that kidnapped children are
forced into beggary by anti-social elements and later these
children become criminals.
"The government`s motive will be rehabilitate them in such
a manner that they could stand on their feet and earn their
livelihood," she said.
Admitting that the government-run beggar homes are in bad
shape, she said the social welfare department will be asked to
revamp the shelters do that they can be "meaningfully used".
She said that her department is committed to evolve a
framework that will become the basis and foundation for a
"just and fair system" of support and rehabilitation of the
Walia said that Government will set up rehabilitation
centres for motivating and rehabilitating beggars and to
motivate them to come out of beggary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price