Delhi govt to provide care to pregnant rape victim
New Delhi: The Delhi government will provide "necessary" facilities to the 19-year old rape victim, who is in her advance stage of pregnancy and has been abandoned by her family, to deliver her child, the Delhi High Court was on Thursday informed.
Appearing before Justice Manmohan Singh, Delhi Government Additional Standing Counsel Ruchi Sindhwani said "all necessary facilities would be provided to the petitioner and she would not have to bear any expenses involved in delivering the child, for which the girl should be sent to a shelter home meant for the pregnant and lactating women."
After recording the government counsel`s submission, the court directed the police to shift the girl to a Shelter Home in Sarai Rohilla.
Earlier, the girl approached the court for medical and financial assistance saying she had become pregnant due to the rape. She is eight months pregnant and needed medical treatment and care to deliver the baby.
Her counsel Nishit Kush and Vijay Kinger said that due to social stigma, her family has abandoned her and she is now sheltered in one of her distant relative`s place.
"The victim is in a pitiable financial condition and cannot meet the expenses which are required by the hospitals for delivery of child," her lawyer had told the court.
Meanwhile, the police have filed the status report about the rape case and the ongoing trial of the case.
According to the police report, four persons including the mother and wife of prime accused have been arrested in the case.
The prime accused, Sanjay Chaudhary, has been absconding and the trial court on June 5 declared him as Proclaimed Offender (PO).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'