Delhi govt to recommend to Centre splitting of MCD
New Delhi: Setting the stage for splitting MCD, Delhi government on Thursday decided to recommend to the Centre that the civic body be divided into five smaller units to improve its functioning.
The meeting of Delhi Cabinet presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit accepted the recommendations of a high-power committee, which had in its report last week
favoured splitting the MCD into five bodies.
"The Cabinet has accepted the recommendations of the committee and decided to recommend the splitting of the MCD into five bodies. Now, we will sent a proposal to the Centre for approval. After that, it will be brought to the Delhi Assembly," said Health Minister AK Walia, who headed the
The committee, which met four times to finalise the recommendations, also favoured increase in number of wards in the city. It recommended that each Assembly constituency should have six wards.
The Delhi government, which has been critical of MCD`s functioning under the BJP, had set up the committee to examine a possible division of the civic body.
Two BJP members in the committee -- VK Malhotra and Jagdish Mukhi -- resigned from the committee just ahead of the first meeting, accusing the government of trying to divide the
MCD to gain political mileage.
The first meeting examined recommendations of various previous committees on reform in MCD and broadly agreed on the recommendations of the VK Malhotra committee as well as Deep Chand Bandhu Committee, both of which had suggested splitting the civic body into five units.
The VK Malhotra committee report in 2004 had recommended division of MCD into five units and had suggested setting up of a "mayor-in-council" for each of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!