Delhi govt to set up appellate authority for senior citizens
New Delhi: Delhi Government will soon set
up an appellate authority above the nine tribunals it had
already set up to address grievances of senior citizens
relating to their well being.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, after chairing a
meeting of newly constituted Senior Citizens Council, said
setting up of the Authority will provide an opportunity to
those senior citizens who may not be satisfied with any
verdict of the tribunals.
The tribunals were set up last year to help senior
citizens appeal against any non compliance of provisions of
Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act,
2007 which provides for compulsory maintenance and welfare of
senior citizens by their families.
Noting that her government was committed to ensure
welfare of elderly people, Dikshit said she has asked the
Social Welfare Department to come out with a guide carrying
all information about facilities and opportunities being
offered to the senior citizens under various schemes inthe
The meeting was attended by Finance Minister A K
Walia, Labour Minister Mangat Ram Singhal, Health Minister
Kiran Walia, Education Minister Arvinder Singh.
It also decided to set up at least two senior
citizens` Recreation Centres in each assembly segment. The
government has been giving one time financial assistance of
Rs 50,000 to these centres along with monthly assistance of Rs
Officials said a five-year plan is being finalised to
ensure effective implementation of various schemes launched to
ensure welfare of the senior citizens.
Efforts will also be made to identify and classify
senior citizens according to their age, health status and
The government has also decided to put a sticker
`senior citizen` on the photo electoral card to ensure a
separate identity for the aged persons.
Listing various steps being taken by the government to
ensure welfare of senior citizens, the officials said special
desks have been set up in all government-run hospitals to give
priority to elderly persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!