Delhi govt to soon notify new parole guidelines
New Delhi: The city Government will soon
notify new parole guidelines which were framed following
directives from the Delhi High Court.
"The notification regarding the fresh guidelines will be
issued in a day or two," a top official of the Delhi
The Delhi High Court had last year asked the city
government to frame new guidelines to grant parole following
hearing of petitions relating to the issue.
Last month, the government had submitted a set of new
guidelines to the Court which was accepted by it.
According to the guidelines, parole would not be granted
to prisoners who have been convicted for murder and rape of
minor children, murder after rape, not citizens of India and
who had escaped from jail.
The government will grant parole or custody parole to
those prisoners only in case of serious illness or critical
condition, on account of accident or death of a family member
besides the marriage of a family member, the guidelines said.
In December last year, Delhi government had come under
fire for granting parole to Jessica Lall murder case convict
Manu Sharma, son of Haryana politician Vinod Sharma, even
while appeals by other prisoners for such relief were pending.
As per the guidelines, the government will not grant
parole to convicts involved in offences like sedition and
whose release on parole has serious repercussion on national
security should not be given the facility.
"Convicts whose release on parole is considered to be
dangerous or a threat to national security...and prisoners who
have been involved in crimes and offences against the state
like sedition or who have been found to be instigating serious
violation of prison discipline would not be eligible for being
released on parole," the guidelines said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Rajan finished SMEs to help American MNCs: Swamy
- Bihar Matric Results 2016: BSEB Class 10th Result 2016, www.biharboard.net, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in, Bihar Board 10th Matric Result to be declared on May 29
- Oil slips as $50 level sparks new output fears
- GSK gets EU approval for first gene therapy for children
- US President Barack Obama mourns dead in Hiroshima, calls for world without nuclear arms