Delhi govt to soon start allotment of houses to slum dwellers
New Delhi: Delhi government will soon start
allotment process of 7,900 low-cost flats to slum dwellers in
the city under new norms aimed at avoiding a repeat of a
The Delhi Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit today gave approval for the allotment of the flats
under Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojna with stringent guidelines to
ensure that the benefits reach the genuine beneficiary.
The DSIIDC has constructed 7,900 flats at Bawana, Narela,
Bhorgarh, Gogha and Bapraula which are almost ready for
Following the DDA flats scam, the wary government has
decided to plug all loopholes and has made mandatory the name
of the slum dweller to figure in the joint bio-metric survey
conducted by Slum and JJ (jhuggi-jhopri) Department with
representatives of the concerned land owning agency.
"The dweller will be entitled for only one residential
flat even if he or she is occupying more than one flat.
However, no flat will be allotted if the jhuggi is used for
commercial purposes," a senior official said.
In order to enhance status of the women, it has been
decided to make the allotment jointly in the name of the
husband and wife with bio-metric details along with photos of
both. The flats will be allowed to be used only for
The JJ dweller should be in the voters` list as also
possess ration card issued on any date before December 31,
1998 or thereafter upto the date of survey, the official
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez