Delhi govt vows action against those guilty in bridge collapse

Delhi Government on Wednesday promised action against anyone found guilty by a probe panel for collapse of a foot over bridge outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium days before the Commonwealth Games.

New Delhi: Delhi Government on Wednesday promised
action against anyone found guilty by a probe panel for
collapse of a foot over bridge outside the Jawaharlal Nehru
Stadium days before the Commonwealth Games.

"We are examining the report...Action is always taken
whenever somebody is found to be involved in any deficiency,"
Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta said replying to queries on the
probe report into the collapse.

The two-member panel, which submitted its report
yesterday, blamed the faulty construction methodology adopted
by private firm P and R Infra projects Ltd and held PWD
responsible for supervisory failure.

"The report has mainly pointed out three things -- the
change in the original design, supervisory issues and time
factor (the fact that the project was being implemented in a
great hurry," Mehta said.

A top official said although PWD has been blamed for
"supervisory failure", actually the project was overseen by
engineers from CPWD who served in the PWD on deputation during
the Games. The CPWD (Central Public Works Department)
functions under Union Urban Development Ministry.

"We will send the report to CPWD for action against those
responsible for supervisory failure," he said.

In its report, the Committee, headed by former CPWD
director general H S Dogra, said the method of construction
adopted by the contractor was not proper as it devised
procedure on its own without taking any necessary approval.

The report also blamed UK-based supplier of the steel
frame of the bridge for not giving information about
deficiencies in design parameters although the company knew
about it. The design of the bridge was prepared by
PWD-appointed Tandon Consultants.

UK firm M/s Macalloy had said after the incident that
they felt "the orientation of the gusset plate are in the
wrong plane." However, no such observations were made by them
when the drawings were forwarded to them in April, 2010 by the
contractor for fabrication of the system, it said.

Mehta said Government will ask the company to explain it.
The UK firm did not respond when asked by the probe committee
to clarify why the suggestion was not given in April.

The collapse of the 95-metre-long under-construction
bridge, just days before the mega sporting event, had caused
major embarrassment to the organisers. 27 labourers
were injured in the incident.

The probe panel said the collapse took place "because of
failure of the joint of Macalloy suspender bars which had been
prescribed as part of the design for suspension of the deck of
the FOB with the main arch."

The over Rs 5 crore project was contracted to private
firm P and R Infra projects Ltd by PWD. The company has already
been blacklisted by the city government.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close