Delhi-Gurgaon expressway to be toll free, SC refuses stay
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday refused to stay the order of Punjab & Haryana High Court which had restrained collection of toll tax on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days to ensure free flow of traffic.
A bench of justices D K Jain and Madan B Lokur rejected the plea of South Delhi Municipal Corporation which pleaded that the High Court interim measure be stayed as it is losing toll tax of Rs 25 lakh per day.
Senior Advocate Ravi Shankar Prasad made a fervent plea for allowing it to collect taxes at least on commercial vevicles but the bench was not impressed.
The bench asked the municipal body to approach the High Court for the relief.
Anguished over the frequent traffic chaos on the Highway, the High Court had on September 4 restrained the Delhi-Gurgaon Super Connectivity Limited ( DGSCL) from collecting toll tax on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days saying that the concessionaire had not been able to ensure free flow of traffic on the expressway.
It had also directed the Haryana Government to provide dedicated police personnel at the toll plaza to ensure that security measures are in place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof