Delhi has most rape cases among 35 cities
New Delhi: Delhi is perhaps the most unsafe
city for women as 414 rape cases were reported in the national
capital in 2010, the highest among 35 major cities in the
country, while Mumbai followed it with 194 such incidents.
According to government statistics released today, 23 per
cent of rape cases in these urban areas took place in Delhi
and 10.8 per cent in Mumbai.
A total of 1,422 kidnapping or abduction of women have
taken place in Delhi last year which is 37.7 per cent of the
total cases in 35 major cities.
There were 112 dowry deaths and 1,273 incidents of
cruelty by husband or relatives in Delhi last year, said the
report of the national Crime Control Bureau.
In Mumbai, there were 146 incidents of kidnapping of
women, 21 dowry deaths and 312 incidents of cruelty by husband
or relatives during last year.
Pune reported third highest number of 91 rape cases in
2010 followed by Jabalpur where 81 rape took place last year.
Software city Bangalore recorded 65 incidents of rape
while Indore reported 69 incidents of rape last year.
Among the states, Madhya Pradesh reported the highest
number of rape -- 3,135 incidents -- in 2010 followed by West
Bengal where 2,311 cases were reported last year.
Assam, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh
reported 1,721, 1,599, 1,563 and 1,362 cases respectively.
There were 1,012 incidents of rape in Chhattisgarh, 1,025
in Orissa and 795 in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof