Delhi HC asks CBI to probe cases of missing girls from West Bengal
New Delhi: The probe into cases of some missing girls, brought to Delhi from West Bengal to work as domestic helps, has been transferred from city police to CBI.
A bench of justices Sanjeev Khanna and SP Garg also asked CBI to file a status report in the matter in four months and posted it for April 8, 2013.
"In view of the gravity of the situation, the sensitivity of the issue, the plight of the parents of these girls...We are of the opinion that it would be appropriate if the investigation is conducted by the CBI. Accordingly, we direct the SHO concerned to hand over the records to CBI," the bench said.
It asked the premier investigating agency to appoint a competent officer to "look into the matter, complete the enquiry and expeditiously file a report in a sealed cover."
The bench was hearing a habeas corpus petition filed by one Ajit Mohali, from village Teetulati in 24 Pargan district of West Bengal, alleging that his daughter had been brought to Delhi from West Bengal through a placement agency six years ago but she has not contacted home since then.
He also alleged that four other girls from his village were also brought by one Jaya for one Maa Durga placement agency, run by Jay Deb Das, but they too have not contacted their houses since then.
The man, in his plea, said girls went missing and an FIR was registered in West Bengal.
With the high court`s intervention, Delhi Police filed a
status report stating that Mohali`s daughter and another girl were working at a house in Janakpuri but both of them allegedly had run away from the house.
On receipt of the information about the girls, Das had lodged a missing report at Hari Nagar police station in October 2007, the police report said.
The police said, despite all attempts, no clue of whereabouts of girls and no records about them at Maa Durga Placement Agency were found.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India