Delhi HC asks lawyer to file report on condition of night shelter
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday
appointed a lawyer as Court Commissioner and directed her to
visit a building, converted into a night shelter for homeless
people, and file a report about the basic amenities provided
by civic agencies there.
A Division Bench of Acting Chief Justice Madan B Lokur
and Justice Mukta Gupta appointed Firdause Qutbwani, a lawyer
and directed her to file a detailed report by May 5 after
inspecting the building.
The Bench`s direction came after it was alleged that the
three-storeyed building was not in a proper condition and
people could not stay there due to lack of basic facilities,
including water supply and toilet, on each floor.
Appearing for an NGO, which has taken the charge to shift
the homeless people, including those from Pusa Road
roundabout, informed the Bench that only the ground floor is
open but other floors were not allowed to be used and no water
supply and toilet facilities were there for the other floors.
Meanwhile, the Court also directed the NGO activists to
find any other shelter in South Delhi out of the list of
shelters provided by the NCT government for the homeless
Appearing for NDMC, the counsel said the building in
Sarojini Nagar is a school and the classes were to start from
the academic year 2010-2011. Due to the previous order of the
Court, the building has been used as a night shelter since
January this year, the lawyer added.
The Bench has taken suo motu cognisance of a media report
that MCD has removed about 300 people from their temporary
shelters provided by the NGO near Pusa Road roundabout in the
name of renovation of roads and pavements in view of the
coming Commonwealth Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi