Delhi HC asks lawyer to file report on condition of night shelter
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday
appointed a lawyer as Court Commissioner and directed her to
visit a building, converted into a night shelter for homeless
people, and file a report about the basic amenities provided
by civic agencies there.
A Division Bench of Acting Chief Justice Madan B Lokur
and Justice Mukta Gupta appointed Firdause Qutbwani, a lawyer
and directed her to file a detailed report by May 5 after
inspecting the building.
The Bench`s direction came after it was alleged that the
three-storeyed building was not in a proper condition and
people could not stay there due to lack of basic facilities,
including water supply and toilet, on each floor.
Appearing for an NGO, which has taken the charge to shift
the homeless people, including those from Pusa Road
roundabout, informed the Bench that only the ground floor is
open but other floors were not allowed to be used and no water
supply and toilet facilities were there for the other floors.
Meanwhile, the Court also directed the NGO activists to
find any other shelter in South Delhi out of the list of
shelters provided by the NCT government for the homeless
Appearing for NDMC, the counsel said the building in
Sarojini Nagar is a school and the classes were to start from
the academic year 2010-2011. Due to the previous order of the
Court, the building has been used as a night shelter since
January this year, the lawyer added.
The Bench has taken suo motu cognisance of a media report
that MCD has removed about 300 people from their temporary
shelters provided by the NGO near Pusa Road roundabout in the
name of renovation of roads and pavements in view of the
coming Commonwealth Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug