Delhi HC asks traders to pay NDMC for free parking at Khan Market
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday gave
a "last opportunity" to the Khan Market traders` association
to either agree to pay a monthly license fee of Rs 5.34 lakh
to NDMC before June 6 to ensure free parking of vehicles or
the civic body would be allowed to charge for the same.
"This court considers it appropriate to give Khan Market
Traders Association (KMTA) one last opportunity, up to 5 pm on
June 6, to convey to to NDMC its willingness to pay the NDMC a
monthly licence fee of Rs 5.34 lakh in which event it will be
permitted to manage the parking in Khan Market for a period
and on terms and conditions laid down by NDMC," Justice S
The court said that in case traders do not agree to
compensate NDMC, the judicial protection, restraining the
civic body from charging for parking, would go away.
Earlier, Justice Muralidhar had stayed the decision of
NDMC (New Delhi Municipal Council) to stop the free parking
facility in Khan Market and introduce paid parking by inviting
"If KMTA does not convey its willingness by 5 pm on
June 6, the status quo order will automatically stand vacated"
the judge said.
The traders` association had earlier offered to
compensate the loss to NDMC for allowing free parking but
refused to pay Rs 5.4 lakh (Rs 1500 per shop) saying that it
was on the higher side.
The association had contended "NDMC`s decision is
discriminatory as there are various areas in NDMC zones where
free parking is still permitted."
The paid parking would encourage mafias, the traders`
body had said.
The civic agency had taken the decision following the
direction of Environment Pollution Control Authority to
implement the paid parking facility in the market from April 1
but has deferred implementation of the decision for a week.
Parking at the market has been free for the last 60
years. The tender for the paid parking has been awarded to a
private company, the petition had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands