Delhi HC blast: Accused sent to judicial custody
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday sent Aamir Abbas Dev and Wasim Akram Malik, accused in the September 7 Delhi High Court blast, to judicial remand for 14 days after the NIA submitted that it does not require their custody.
Special NIA Judge HS Sharma sent Dev and Malik to Tihar Jail till November 8 after the probe agency said his custodial interrogation was over.
Malik was produced before the court by the National Investigating Agency after the expiry of his three-day custody while Dev was already in judicial custody. Malik remained in NIA custody for a total of 17 days.
The investigators have termed Malik, a Jammu and Kashmir native studying Unani medicine in Bangladesh, as a `key link` in the conspiracy behind the blast outside gate number 5 of the High Court on September 7 which left 15 people dead and
over 70 injured.
Earlier, NIA had sought Malik`s custody on the ground that certain developments were taking place and they were likely to arrest more people linked to the case.
NIA had also seized three mobile phones from Jammu and Kishtwar residences of Malik recently.
A Metropolitan Magistrate had earlier recorded Dev`s testimony under section 164 of the CrPC, in an in-camera proceeding.
The statements recorded by a magistrate under the CrPC bind the accused and any U-turn during the trial would make him liable for prosecution for the offence of perjury.
Dev, a native of Jammu and Kashmir, is accused of sending terror e-mails to media groups after the blast outside the gate of the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US