Delhi HC dismisses PIL of AAP MLA on installation of mobile towers
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has refused to entertain a PIL of an AAP MLA that the Centre and the Delhi Cantonment Board be directed to allow installation of mobile towers in a village here, saying the plea was "motivated".
"You (Surender Singh) are not even the resident of village Jharera in Delhi Cantonment area. This is a motivated litigation," a bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice R S Endlaw said.
"I am the MLA of the area and people complain about poor mobile connectivity. Moreover, a neighbouring village has as many as six mobile towers and this village has none," said Virender Singh Kadian, appearing for the lawmaker.
"Who will install the towers? It has to be private firms. How come a PIL is maintainable? It is dismissed," the bench said.
Singh, who represents Delhi Cantonment constituency in the Assembly, filed the PIL seeking a direction to the Centre and the Cantonment Board to allow private mobile service providers to install towers in Jharera village.
The MLA, a former Army Commando, said that there are as many as four schools near the village and mobile towers are necessary for proper connectivity.
"Thousands of children are studying in these schools and there is no communication facility due to non-availability of mobile towers. In case of some mishaps, it would be very difficult to communicate with agencies like police, ambulance or fire services," it said.
The non-installation of mobile towers is a clear violation of fundamental rights of almost 20,000 village residents, soldiers of nearby units, the plea said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi