Delhi HC forces constable to withdraw plea in molestation case
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has forced a
constable to withdraw his plea seeking quashing of criminal
proceedings in a case of alleged molestation, saying his
behaviour was "unacceptable".
"You have misused your oficial position to assault a
woman which is not acceptable in our society... either you
withdraw your petition or I will dismiss it," Justice Ajit
The counsel for constable Bharat Rattan promptly withdrew
the petition as the public prosecutor also opposed it saying
"it was quite unbecoming of a policeman who is supposed to
Earlier, the policeman, facing trial at a lower court at
Rohini, said the case against him be quashed as he and the
complainant woman has entered into an out-of-court
settlement as she does not want to pursue it.
Rattan, then posted at Model Town police station, and his
accomplice had outraged the modesty of a woman, employed
with a PSU bank, on a night in January last year when she was
returning home by a rickshaw at Kingsway Camp in north Delhi.
They fled from the spot after the victim raised an alarm.
Later, an FIR was lodged at Mukherjee Nagar police station.
The accused, who was later sacked, was granted bail at
the police station itself.
However, he was reinstated in the services after the
woman agreed to settle the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22