Delhi HC forces constable to withdraw plea in molestation case
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has forced a
constable to withdraw his plea seeking quashing of criminal
proceedings in a case of alleged molestation, saying his
behaviour was "unacceptable".
"You have misused your oficial position to assault a
woman which is not acceptable in our society... either you
withdraw your petition or I will dismiss it," Justice Ajit
The counsel for constable Bharat Rattan promptly withdrew
the petition as the public prosecutor also opposed it saying
"it was quite unbecoming of a policeman who is supposed to
Earlier, the policeman, facing trial at a lower court at
Rohini, said the case against him be quashed as he and the
complainant woman has entered into an out-of-court
settlement as she does not want to pursue it.
Rattan, then posted at Model Town police station, and his
accomplice had outraged the modesty of a woman, employed
with a PSU bank, on a night in January last year when she was
returning home by a rickshaw at Kingsway Camp in north Delhi.
They fled from the spot after the victim raised an alarm.
Later, an FIR was lodged at Mukherjee Nagar police station.
The accused, who was later sacked, was granted bail at
the police station itself.
However, he was reinstated in the services after the
woman agreed to settle the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble