Delhi HC issues notice to city govt, school on fees hike issue
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday sought
a response from the city government and a private unaided
school on a group of parents`plea for an order restraining the
school from increasing the tuition fee for the next academic
Issuing notices to the Directorate of Education, Delhi
government, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India
and the Ramjas School in Anand Parbat, Justice Rajiv Sahai
Endlaw sought their replies by May 5.
Filing a petition through counsel Ashok Aggarwal, a group
of parents challenged the school`s March 23 decision to hike
the tuition fee from next academic session saying it is
arbitrary and violative of the High Court`s earlier order.
Despite having huge surplus, the schoool has taken a
decision on March 23 to increase by Rs 400 per month the
tuition fee and corresponding increase in the development fee
from the academic year 2011-2012", the petitioners said.
"The petitioners submitted a complaint to the Directorate
of Education, which is responsible for implementation of the
provisions of the Delhi Education Act, seeking restraint on
the school from hiking the fee but the department has not
taken any action so far and the school is going ahead with
their decision," said their counsel before the court.
"If the school is allowed to implement the decision,
it would cause great injustice to the hapless
parents/students", the counsel also added.
According to the parents` association of the school, a
PIL challenging the city government`s decision allowing the
private schools to increase the tuition fee is pending before
a division bench and the decision is awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post