Delhi HC issues notice to city govt, school on fees hike issue
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday sought
a response from the city government and a private unaided
school on a group of parents`plea for an order restraining the
school from increasing the tuition fee for the next academic
Issuing notices to the Directorate of Education, Delhi
government, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India
and the Ramjas School in Anand Parbat, Justice Rajiv Sahai
Endlaw sought their replies by May 5.
Filing a petition through counsel Ashok Aggarwal, a group
of parents challenged the school`s March 23 decision to hike
the tuition fee from next academic session saying it is
arbitrary and violative of the High Court`s earlier order.
Despite having huge surplus, the schoool has taken a
decision on March 23 to increase by Rs 400 per month the
tuition fee and corresponding increase in the development fee
from the academic year 2011-2012", the petitioners said.
"The petitioners submitted a complaint to the Directorate
of Education, which is responsible for implementation of the
provisions of the Delhi Education Act, seeking restraint on
the school from hiking the fee but the department has not
taken any action so far and the school is going ahead with
their decision," said their counsel before the court.
"If the school is allowed to implement the decision,
it would cause great injustice to the hapless
parents/students", the counsel also added.
According to the parents` association of the school, a
PIL challenging the city government`s decision allowing the
private schools to increase the tuition fee is pending before
a division bench and the decision is awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!