Delhi HC lawyers join stir against bill
New Delhi: Delhi High Court lawyers on Thursday joined the protest against a bill, which seeks to regulate legal education and profession, even as work at all the six district courts here remained affected for the second day.
The high court lawyers, who had not joined the stir yesterday, abstained from work today as part of the two-day nation-wide protest called by the Bar Council of India (BCI).
The BCI has accused the government of trying to usurp its power to regulate the legal education and profession in the country through the proposed Higher Education and Research (HER) Bill.
Proceedings in the 2G spectrum scam case at Patiala House court were held for half-an-hour in the morning after which they was adjourned because of the stir.
While litigants came to the court, their advocates abstained from work and in most cases only proxy counsel appeared to obtain the next date of hearing. Lawyers, who did appear in court, did not come in their regular black and white dress.
Lawyers at all the six district court complexes in the capital, including Asia`s largest bar association at Tis Hazari Court, had boycotted the court proceedings yesterday and only the proxy counsel appeared in courts to get the next date of hearing in their cases. Even attestation and photocopying work at the Tis Hazari complext was affected today.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal had last week sought to reach out to the legal community through a letter in which he had said the HER Bill will not infringe upon the powers of the BCI.
Attendance of advocates was thin at Dwarka court but the CBI courts functioned.
Lawyers at the Rohini district court did not appear before the judges in any of matters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?