Delhi HC notice to govt on deciding juvenility
New Delhi: The Centre was Wednesday directed by the Delhi High Court to respond to a PIL seeking a direction for framing uniform procedure to be followed by all lower courts while determining the juvenility of an accused.
Issuing notice to the ministries of Home Affairs and Law and Justice, a division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain sought their responses by April 3 on the PIL challenging the Rules under the Juvenile Justice (JJ) Act.
The PIL, filed by advocate R K Tarun, submitted that Sub Rule (3) of Rule 12 of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Rules and the Delhi Juvenile Justice Rules should be declared as unconstitutional.
Rule 12 (3) of the Juvenile Justice Rules provides the procedure to be followed in determination of age of a person claiming to be a juvenile.
The petitioner submitted that the bench should direct the government to frame rules so that all the trial courts could "uniformly" follow the procedure while determining the juvenility of an accused.
The petition said that no two courts were uniform in determining the age of an accused who claims to be a juvenile at the time of a crime.
The PIL, while referring to the December 16 Delhi gangrape case, contended, "The Juvenile Justice Board at the time of determining the age of the accused relied upon a certificate provided by the government primary school in Badaun, without going into any enquiry for determining the juvenility, which is actually required by the law."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof