Delhi HC notice to one of Katara`s killers
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday issued
notice to Sukhdev Pehalawan, the third person sentenced to
life term in the Nitish Katara murder case, on a state`s plea
seeking death penalty for him.
A bench of justices Gita Mittal and J R Midha sought
Pehalwan`s response by February 1 on a petition by Special
Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan seeking capital punishment
for him in the case.
Citing Pehalwan`s conduct in the case, the prosecution,
in its petition, said, "Pehalwan is not capable of being
reformed or rehabilitated as it is evident from his conduct
post-crime and the circumstances."
According to the petition, after killing Katara,
Pehalwan, in collusion with co-accused Vikas and Vishal Yadav,
did not only burn the body but also tried to destroy the
"The trial court should have awarded maximum punishment
to Pehalwan as he did not only kill the victim but had tried
to destroy evidence after murder," said the petition.
Pehalwan, an alleged henchman of former Rajya Sabha
member D P Yadav`s son Vikas and nephew Vishal, was awarded
life term by the trial court in July 12, last year for
abducting and killing business executive Nitish Katara in
collusion with the duo in February 2002.
While pronouncing the sentence, the trial court had
rejected prosecution`s plea for death sentence to him, saying
the case did not fall under the category of the rarest of rare
"The case of the appellant cannot be taken to fall in a
category where murder was committed with a motive which
evinced total depravity and meanness, for example, murder by
hired assassin for money or reward," the trial court had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm