Delhi HC pulls up government, MCD over e-rickshaws
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday pulled up the state government and Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) for shifting the blame on each other on the issue of e-rickshaws plying on city roads without licences or number plates.
Justice Pradeep Nandrajog and Justice Jayant Nath came down heavily on the Delhi government and MCD.
They said both were "passing the buck" on each other on the issue that in case of any serious accident insurance cannot be claimed as the three-wheeled commercial vehicle does not have any registration number.
"You are passing the buck here. It is a serious issue. You are duty bound to act on the issue. If someone dies, he cannot claim insurances," the bench said.
The petition filed by social worker Shehnwaz Khan through advocate Sugriv Dubey contended that e-rickshaws had no registration numbers and the vehicles put passengers at their own risk, since they cannot claim insurance in case of any accident.
The petition sought a ban on the battery-powered e-rickshaws. The plea also sought directions to the authorities to take measures to stop the operation of e-rickshaws.
The plea said e-rickshaws operated with four batteries and were designed to ferry four people, including the driver. It alleged that the drivers, at times, carry up to eight passengers, endangering their lives.
The petition said that with speed ranging between 20-40 km per hour, e-rickshaws were not only a safety hazard but also a reason for traffic jams in many areas.
During the hearing, counsel for Delhi government told the court that the MCD runs rickshaws, and so e-rickshaws also come under it and the government has nothing to do with it.
However, counsel for MCD said the transport department comes under the Delhi government, and so e-rickshaws will also come under it.
He said the civic agency has no power to stop e-rickshaws as they come under the jurisdiction of the Delhi government.
"E-rickshaws never came under MCD. Delhi government has the jurisdiction. We don`t have power to stop them. Delhi government has to give us power," the MCD lawyer said.
The bench asked both counsel to file their responses on the issue within four weeks and posted the matter for Feb 19.
The petitioner`s counsel also contended that neither the vehicles were insured nor any claim can be made for injuries caused by e-rickshaws, "though even a small two-wheeler is covered under comprehensive insurance but these e-rickshaws don`t have any insurance... but if it causes accidents, then pedestrians may even die".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow