Delhi HC pulls up MCD for demolishing night shelter
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday pulled up the MCD for demolishing a night shelter in the name of beautification drive and the forthcoming Commonwealth Games in the city, saying that it is an obligation of the civic agency to provide shelter to homeless persons in the capital.
"How can you demolish the night shelter without having regard to people living there? Under the law (MCD Act), it is your obligation to provide night shelter to homeless people in the Capital," a Bench headed by Chief Justice AP Shah said.
The High Court directed the MCD to place before it the order under which the night shelter on Pusa road here was demolished on December 22 without providing alternative accommodation to the people living there.
"Have you thought of sufferings of the people who suffered
due to the demolition. Winter is severe in the city and you
give an explanation for demolition on the ground of
beautification and Commonwealth Games. Show us the order under
which it was demolished," the bench said.
The MCD, however, apologised for its action and informed
the court that alternative arrangements have been made for the
people living there from January 1.
The court listed the matter for further hearing tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest