Delhi HC pulls up MCD for demolishing night shelter
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday pulled up the MCD for demolishing a night shelter in the name of beautification drive and the forthcoming Commonwealth Games in the city, saying that it is an obligation of the civic agency to provide shelter to homeless persons in the capital.
"How can you demolish the night shelter without having regard to people living there? Under the law (MCD Act), it is your obligation to provide night shelter to homeless people in the Capital," a Bench headed by Chief Justice AP Shah said.
The High Court directed the MCD to place before it the order under which the night shelter on Pusa road here was demolished on December 22 without providing alternative accommodation to the people living there.
"Have you thought of sufferings of the people who suffered
due to the demolition. Winter is severe in the city and you
give an explanation for demolition on the ground of
beautification and Commonwealth Games. Show us the order under
which it was demolished," the bench said.
The MCD, however, apologised for its action and informed
the court that alternative arrangements have been made for the
people living there from January 1.
The court listed the matter for further hearing tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!