Delhi HC refuses bail to 2005 Diwali-eve blast case

Justice Ajit Bharihoke dismissed Dar`s application for interim bail and said the accused is facing trial for serious charges like murder and waging war against the nation

Last Updated: Sep 15, 2010, 21:06 PM IST

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday declined to grant interim bail to Tariq Ahmed Dar, prime accused in the 2005 Diwali-eve blasts case, noting that the situation in Kashmir is not conducive to send him to his hometown.

Justice Ajit Bharihoke dismissed Dar`s application for interim bail and said the accused is facing trial for serious charges like murder and waging war against the nation and the situation in Kashmir is not conducive to send him to his hometown.

Dar, in the bail plea said his wife has to undergo a surgery and his presence was required at home for which he sought grant of bail for a month.

Dar and three of his associates were charged by a court here with offences including murder and waging war against the nation under IPC, Explosive Substances Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The accused were arrested in connection with the serial blasts that left 67 people dead and 225 injured on the eve of Diwali on October 29, 2005.

Dar is also accused of carrying out blasts in Paharganj and Kalkaji on the same day besides facing charges for similar offences in Sarojini Nagar Market blast in which 50 people were killed and over 200 injured.

The Paharganj blast claimed 17 lives while the Kalkaji blast left above two dozens injured.

The court had earlier clubbed the three blasts cases for recording of evidence but it framed the charges separately against the accused.

According to the prosecution, Dar, along with co-accused Mohd Rafiq Shah, Abu Ozefa, Abu Al Kama, Rashid, Sajid Ali and Zahid, had entered into a criminal conspiracy to wage a war against the state and planned to cause serial blasts.

Ozefa, Abu Al Kama, Rashid, Sajid Ali and Zahid are still at large and are said to be in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.

Dar had allegedly hatched a conspiracy with Lashkar-e-Toiba militants to plan and carry out the bomb blasts in the national capital, as per the prosecution.

PTI