Delhi HC seeks govt records on creation of new districts
New Delhi: A lawyers` body on Wednesday moved the Delhi High Court seeking annulment of the city government`s order to create 11 districts, alleging that the move is "arbitrary" as some areas have been shifted to those district courts which are far from the residences of litigants.
A bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw asked the government to apprise it of the rationale behind carving of 11 new districts out of the existing nine and their reshuffling by January 7, 2013.
Seeking the records on formation of new districts, the bench asked Standing Counsel (Civil) Nazmi Waziri to place on record the files on the next date of hearing.
"On what basis the areas have been shifted to various districts and also attached to different courts?," the court asked.
The bench was hearing a petition by the Dwarka Court Bar Association through counsel H S Phoolka seeking quashing of the September 11 notification on the ground that the government`s decision is against the policy of "justice at door step".
"The impugned notification is devoid of any logic or reason and has been in total arbitrariness as the impugned notification runs contrary to the respondents own policy of `justice at door step`," the petition said.
According to the plea, the notification has taken out two pre-existing sub-divisions, Vasant Vihar and Delhi Cantt., from South West District and merged with New Delhi district.
"....Some areas which are part of these two sub-divisions and close proximity to the Dwarka court have been merged with New Delhi district.
"People residing in these areas would now be compelled to approach the district courts at Patiala House to seek redressal of their grievances," the bar association said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried