Delhi HC seeks govt`s progress report on rescuing child labourers
New Delhi: Refusing to withdraw its order summoning Delhi Chief Secretary over alleged in-action to rescue child labourers, the High Court on Tuesday asked the city government to furnish the progress report by October 31.
"Justice is not done to children. This is temple of justice. Let Chief Secretary come and explain...," a bench of Chief Justice NV Ramana and and Justice Manmohan said.
The court had earlier summoned the Chief Secretary and the Secretary of Labour Department to appear before it on November 13 and explain the reasons for non-compliance of the directions to conduct raids and rescue children employed as labourers.
It was today hearing an application filed by the Delhi government for withdrawal the order summoning the senior officials.
"First show progress then come for relief...," the court said while declining to withdraw the order and sought by October 31 the progress report on government`s efforts to rescue child labourers.
Filing an application through Standing Counsel Pawan Sharma, the city government said several raids have been conducted and more than 200 children have also been rescued and the officer`s personal appearance is not required in the court.
Senior Advocate HS Phoolka, for petitioner NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan which has sought complete elimination of child labour from the national capital, argued that government is not implementing its own plan to abolish child labour despite high court`s repeated orders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22