Delhi HC seeks info from Centre on Netaji`s ashes
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked the Centre to inform it where exactly the ashes of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose are being kept.
Hearing a PIL seeking direction to the government to bring back the ashes lying in a museum in Germany, a bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath said, "This is a news to us, for we heard that Bose was cremated in Japan and his ashes were lying in a Tokyo museum."
It asked Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Rajeeve Mehra to take instructions from the government on the exact position of the ashes.
The bench fixed July 31 as the next date of hearing.
The court was hearing a PIL by Prashant Paliwal through counsel Sugriv Dubey seeking directions to bring back to India the ashes of Bose lying in a museum in Germany and to keep them at a public place for paying tributes to the late leader.
"The ashes of late Subhash Chandra Bose to be directed to be brought to India and kept in a public place for paying tributes to late leader for the sacrifices made by him in the freedom struggle of the nation," the plea said.
The plea further sought for an order for submerging of the ashes into Ganga and also sprinkle atop Himalayas claiming that the same had been done in cases of other national leaders like Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video