Delhi HC summons Tihar jail SP over custodial death
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday
summoned Tihar jail Superintendent to explain how and why the
CCTV footage has been erased in an alleged custodial death
The court also sought to know from the jail authority
about the post mortem report of a murder convict who died
during a fight among prison inmates on February 2.
A Division Bench of Justice Acting Chief Justice Madan B
Lokur and Justice Mukta Gupta expressed its anger over the
failure of jail authorities to satisfy the court with regard to
the circumstances in which the inmate Sunder died and his
brother Manoj, also a lifer, was seriously injured in the
"A man cannot be killed like this in jail and the
authorities have failed to preserve the CCTV footage", said
The court`s direction came after the standing counsel
Pawan Sharma said the jail officers have erased the CCTV
footage. He was replying to a Bench`s query about the visual
records of the fight among the inmates.
An FIR was registered with Hari Nagar police station
after the High Court`s intervention.
The bench converted a letter, sent by the Union Law
Minister based on a complaint from Madan Kishore, another
brother of the deceased, into a PIL and took suo-motu
cognisance while seeking status report from the jail
According to Madan Kishore, the family of the deceased
was informed about the death of Sunder on February 13 but the
incident had happened on February 2 and Sunder succumbed to
injuries a week after the fight.
He claimed Manoj informed the family that during the
fight Sunder was beaten up badly by other two inmates with
iron rods in the presence of two jail officials.
The complainant alleged no action has been taken so far
against neither the jail officials nor the inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon