Delhi HC to hear discoms` plea against CAG audit today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court will on Friday hear pleas by three power discoms against the order of a single judge refusing to stay a Delhi government directive for a Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) audit of their finances since their inception in 2002.
Three power discoms had on February 07 moved the Delhi High Court and a division bench of Chief Justice NV Ramana had posted the pleas for February 14.
Justice Manmohan had on January 24 refused to stay the government`s order for the audit. The discoms alleged that the audit was ordered by the government with a "predetermined mind".
The three discoms - Tata Power Delhi Distribution Ltd., BSES Rajdhani and BSES Yamuna - which supply power to consumers in Delhi, alleged that the Delhi government`s order was a political ploy.
Saying that audit is a serious issue, the discoms had asked the court to examine the legality of the order.
Before the single judge, they had said that the audit order was passed with "malice in law", without giving the discoms an opportunity to be heard.
The existing rules limit the audit power of the CAG to government companies, and under the Electricity Act, Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung should have initiated the audit order instead of agreeing with the government`s decision, the discoms said.
Meanwhile, advocate Prashant Bhushan, who appeared for the Delhi government, had argued that the government had 49 percent share in each of the three discoms.
Jung had on January 01 directed the CAG to undertake the audit.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, soon after assuming office on December 28, met CAG Shashi Kant Sharma and urged him to audit the three private firms.
He alleged that the discoms were overcharging the consumers.
On January 07, the Delhi government ordered an audit of the discoms by the CAG. The discoms then filed writ petitions before the Delhi High Court.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble