Delhi HC upholds man`s life sentence for killing step-son
New Delhi: The life sentence awarded by a trial court to a man for killing his four-year-old step-son has been upheld by the Delhi High Court which said the convict`s motive was "not to keep" the child with him.
Dismissing the appeal filed by Hardayal Singh, a resident from Khyala in Tilak Nagar area in West Delhi, the bench of Justices Sanjiv Khanna and Siddharth Mridul said, "We do not find any infirmity in the judgement of conviction and order of sentence recorded by the trial judge and, accordingly, the appeal, being devoid of substance, stands dismissed.
"In the present case, motive behind the alleged crime has been set up to be the fact that the deceased was the step-son of the appellant and on account of that the appellant was not happy to keep the child with him."
The court relied upon the testimony of victim`s mother who had complained to police that Singh was unhappy about her son, from her first husband, staying with them.
In her statement, she further said Singh used to beat her son and also pick up quarrels. He even asked her to send the child to her parents` house which was she had opposed.
Accepting the prosecution`s claim that the child was last seen in the company of Singh, the bench said, "We are of the considered opinion that all the circumstances which have been established by the prosecution complete the chain and irresistibly point towards the guilt of the appellant.
"There can be no shadow of doubt that the circumstances have been proven beyond reasonable doubt."
According to the FIR, on the evening of November 6, 2006, Singh had taken the child on his two-wheeler for a ride but returned home without him. Three days after, the child`s body was recovered by police following the disclosure statement made by Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day