Delhi Health Minister to meet CM over dengue outbreak
New Delhi: With more than 550 cases of dengue reported in the national capital, Delhi Health Minister Kiran Walia will meet Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit later Monday to discuss measures to check the spread of the disease.
"There is a meeting scheduled for later in the day (Monday) between the Health Minister and the Chief Minister. The main point of discussion will be the state of dengue in the city," Delhi Health Secretary JP Singh said.
NK Yadav, chief medical officer of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), said the number of cases of the vector-borne disease reported till late Sunday was 555.
As many as 27 new cases were reported on Sunday, he added.
Over the last few days, major discrepancies have been reported in the number of dengue cases. Some media reports alleged that the number of cases was higher than those declared by the civic agency.
The Delhi government had Friday announced the appointment of a state nodal officer, Debashish Bhattacharya, for assessing the number of cases.
"The Delhi government has now made it mandatory for all public and private hospitals to give details of the dengue cases to the state nodal officer. The health authorities have been asked to check, prevent and control dengue and take immediate steps to curb the menace," Bhattacharya said.
Until now, MCD has reported two dengue deaths - of two boys, one 15 and the other nine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video