Delhi High Court seeks status report on `crime mapping` of Delhi
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday directed police to provide a status report on "crime mapping" of the capital, especially on crimes against women.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice B.D. Ahmed and Justice Siddharth Mridul directed Delhi Police to submit the report in a sealed cover.
"Delhi Police to file status report on crime mapping of the capital particularly of crimes against women," said the bench, posting the matter for April 16.
Earlier, the bench directed police to do "crime mapping" in the capital to know the reasons behind incidents of harassment to women.
It said it wanted to know whether the "phenomenon of sexual aggression against females was a social or a policing problem".
The court was hearing a plea filed by advocate Gaurav Bansal who cited surveys by independent groups claiming a spurt in crimes against women and sought directions for taking adequate steps to prevent them.
The plea said the Delhi government failed to provide an atmosphere conducive to the growth of girl students and women.
It submitted a press release issued by Delhi Police in April 2013 which said incidents of molestation and harassment had recorded 600 percent and 783.67 percent rise respectively in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried