Delhi honour killing: NCW seeks report
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) has sought a report from the Delhi Police on the alleged torture of a girl along with her friend to death for wanting to marry against the wishes of her family.
The commission has taken suo motu cognizance into the incident wherein a 19-year-old and her boyfriend were beaten throughout the night by the girl`s family in North East Delhi and killed by electrocution and flogging, NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas said in a statement.
"We have sought an action taken report from the police in this matter," she said.
Police have arrested the uncle, father, mother and two more relatives of the girl.
Asha and Yogesh Kumar were allegedly murdered as her family were opposed to her marrying the boy who belonged to a different caste.
Police alleged that the family had forced Asha to call Yogesh from his Gokulpuri residence and had physically tortured him and the girl for hours before killing them.
Asha and Yogesh were found murdered at her uncle`s residence on street number-3 of Swaroop Nagar area on Monday morning and Om Prakash and other members of her family were untraceable after the incident. Saini and Om Prakash were arrested late on Monday night.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class