Delhi: Hot and sultry weather holds city in grip
New Delhi: Hot and sultry weather held the national capital in its grip as the mercury rose beyond 43 degrees Celsius, adding to the woes of residents whose wait for the monsoon is likely to extend till next weekend.
The maximum temperature recorded in the city was 43.5 degrees Celsius, six degrees above normal and the minimum was 31.4 degrees, four notches above normal for this time of the season.
The Weatherman has predicted that the monsoon, which has already missed its date with Delhi on June 29, is likely to arrive in the capital by the weekend.
"The city may get rains by the weekend," a MeT official said.
People are not going to get any respite from extreme weather condition tomorrow, as the MeT officials have predicted the maximum to be around 43 degree Celsius and minimum at 32 Degrees, with partly cloudy sky.
Residents have been eagerly waiting for rains as the city has been reeling under heat wave conditions with the maximum temperature remaining over 40 degrees Celsius for the whole of June.
The normal onset date for south-west monsoon in the capital is June 29. But last year, it reached Delhi ahead of schedule on June 26.
Though it came three days earlier last year, the monsoon had a late arrival in 2010. The seasonal rains started only on July five in 2010.
The earliest onset of monsoon over Delhi during the past 30 years was on June 15, 2008 and while the most delayed onset was on July 26, 1987.
During monsoon, Weatherman says, if the city gets 645.7 mm of rains, it is considered normal for the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack