Delhi House census: Cramped but good on power supply
New Delhi: Three or more couples sleep under one roof in around 1.37 lakh houses while more than nine people live together in a single house in over two lakh dwellings in the national capital.
These and other statistics are part of the `Census of Houses, Household Amenities and Assets 2011` released recently by the government.
According to official statistics, six to eight members live under one roof in 25.6 per cent of 33,40,538 households in the city while six per cent of the houses (around two lakh) have more than nine people living in a single dwelling.
In 3.7 percent households, only a single person live while 7.6 percent houses have two persons and 12.8 have three persons. Twenty-four percent of the households have four members while 20.4 percent have five members.
The figures suggested that 32.2 percent of the households have one rooms while a 29.6 percent had two rooms and 20 percent have three rooms.
The statistics said 3.5 percent (around 1.16 lakh) of 33.40 lakh have six or more rooms while three percent of the households have five rooms.
Delhi, being the capital, appears to be well-placed in providing electricity connections as the statistics suggested that 99.1 percent of the houses in the capital have power supply while only 0.1 percent does not have any source of lighting in their houses. 0.7 percent households depend on kerosene for lighting purposes.
Only Lakshadweep with 99.7 percent coverage of power supply is ahead of Delhi in this regard.
Delhi`s households ranks second in the category of having bathrooms in houses. Eighty-seven per cent of the houses in the capital have bathrooms while 8.9 per cent or around 2.97 lakh houses do not have such a facility.
The capital tops the list of LPG/CNG connections in households accounting for 89.9 percent of the dwellings. However, 3.4 percent of the household still uses firewood for cooking while cow dung is used in 0.6 percent of the houses.
Eighty-eight percent of the dwellings have a TV while 33.4 percent have radio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das