Delhi: Human trafficking gang busted; 9 children rescued
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday claimed to
have smashed a gang of human traffickers operating in Assam,
West Bengal and Indo-Bangladesh border with the arrest of two
youths, including a woman, and rescued seven girls and two
The arrested have been identified as Ismail Ahmed (32),
hailing from Nowagaon in Assam and Babita (25), who allegedly
runs an illegal placement agency, Ashok Chand, Deputy
Commissioner of Police (Crime), said.
Ahmed was the first to be arrested on May five from
Shakurpur when he allegedly struck a deal with a decoy
customer for selling a minor girl for Rs 1.5 lakh.
During interrogation, Chand said, he told police that
there are brokers and agents operating in Assam, West Bengal
and border of Indo-Bangladesh who procure minor children on
the pretext of providing them better lives in Delhi.
"The procured minor children are handed over to an
illegal placement agency run by Babita. She was also
apprehended and eight minor girls and boys aged between 11-15
years were rescued with the help of NGO Shakti Vahini. They
were working as domestic helps," he said.
It also came to light that the minors had no knowledge
if any salary was being paid to them or any salary was being
sent to their parents for the household work performed by them
and most of them had no contact with their parents after
coming to Delhi.
"The broker who procured minor children was paid a sum
of Rs 20-25,000 by Babita for each minor child that had been
trafficked. Babita charged as initial amount a sum of Rs
20-35,000 from the employer where the children were employed,"
"Then an agreement of 11 months was drawn up with the
employer for payment of monthly salary. The monthly salary
that was paid was also misappropriated by Babita and it never
reached their parents," Chand said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre