Delhi ICU deaths: NHRC to seek report from authorities
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission on Wednesday took cognisance of the death of four persons in a hospital allegedly due to malfunctioning of an oxygen supply machine and decided to seek a report from authorities.
The Commission has decided to issue a notice to authorities concerned, including those in Delhi government, seeking a report from them, a senior NHRC official said.
"The NHRC has taken suo motu cognisance of media reports about the incident," he said.
Four critically ill patients died in Sushrut Trauma Centre in North Delhi allegedly due to malfunctioning of an oxygen supply machine.
Delhi Health Minister A K Walia ordered a probe into the incident. Special Secretary in Health department S B Shashank will head the inquiry committee, which has been asked to file its report by Friday.
Meanwhile, the BJP sought to put the city government on the mat and demanded a judicial inquiry into the deaths.
Addressing a press conference, Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta alleged that the condition of government hospitals is "very bad" and that the government is responsible for this situation.
"Here in Delhi, hospitals have become death beds. Oxygen mask has become a death mask... This not an ordinary case. We don`t believe in the inquiry by government. There should be a judicial probe," he said.
"We demand the immediate resignation of the Chief Minister and the Health Minister. We will issue a black paper in this case. We will not remain shut."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case