Delhi illegal colonies result of bad planning: Nath
New Delhi: The fact that hundreds of unauthorised colonies in Delhi had to be regularised through legislation is a "tribute to bad planning", Urban Development Kamal Nath said today.
"It is not necessarily bad enforcement, it is bad planning. I think, Delhi has had the problem of bad planning and bad enforcement. It is just not bad enforcement. What will you enforce? How can you enforce 1,600 irregular colonies? Tell me who is going to enforce it," Nath said at a Delhi Development Authority (DDA) workshop here on `Review of the Master Plan of Delhi 2021`.
"Perhaps we are the only country in the world which had to bring in a legislation, the Delhi Special Laws, saying we are going to regularise it. What is this a tribute to? It is a tribute to bad planning," he added.
Nath said enforcement agencies alone could not handle problems created by poor planning.
The minister also said there was no scope for lateral expansion in Delhi, and added that the concept of National Capital Region had also put a further load on the capital with people living here, working in NCR and vice-versa.
Market forces have to be considered while planning for urban areas, Nath said.
"Today, planning has to be driven by market forces. There was an old concept of DDA making a plan, that we`ll have a community centre here and a shopping centre here. Now you can`t say that there will be a shopping centre here if we can`t determine it with market forces," he said.
He said high-rises were needed as otherwise slums would keep coming up in the city.
"Why should we not have high-rises? If we don`t have it we make it a city of slums. Where is the choice?" he said.
The Minister said everyone wanted large open spaces but the ground realities had to be factored in. "Good planning cannot be good poetry," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it