Delhi: Inter-state child trafficking racket busted
New Delhi: In a major development, Delhi Police on Thursday busted an inter-state child trafficking racket active in the Old Delhi Railway Station area for quite some time and rescued at least 15 minor kids from their handlers.
According to report, a team of Delhi Police, acting on a tip off from an NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan, also detained at least five persons in connection with the case.
Those detained are being questioned by the Delhi Police and could later be formally charged in cases related to illegal human trafficking.
Most of the kids, who were rescued in the operation, hail from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal.
They were being taken to Ludhiana by their handlers.
Efforts are being made to re-unite them with their parents in their respective states.
The development is important in view of shocking report released recently by Delhi Police, which said around 700 children have been found missing from the national capital in last three months.
The report also said that 252 children were reported missing in March alone.
The report is a major embarasment for the local administration in the national capital which boasts that New Delhi is one of the safest cities in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations