Delhi is a peculiar city with peculiar challenges: CM
New Delhi: Voicing concern over growing
migrant population and lack of environmental awareness among
Delhiites, Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit on Friday said the city
is yet to be "healthy" in terms of livelihood.
"Delhi is a peculiar city with its peculiar challenges.
We are catering to a new city practically every year with an
additional population of about half a million coming into
Delhi to settle down," Dikshit said here while inaugurating a
workshop on climate change.
"People are just not aware. What concerns me is unless we
involve people and make them aware of environmental hazards
and the value of cleanliness, it is not going to work, we will
not be able to succeed," she said.
Dikshit said measures are being taken towards environment
conservation but it is a long road ahead and there is ample
scope for more active participation.
"We have taken certain measures towards environment
conservation, but we have many miles to go before we can
really say `yes, this is a comfortable and purely good city`
from the point of view of healthy living and sustainable
The half day workshop titled `Sustainability in the face
of global change` is part of an environmental summit launched
by international NGO `Earthwatch`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you