Delhi: Lawyers observe strike in district courts
New Delhi: Lawyers of district courts in the
capital on Wednesday staged a day-long strike and decided to approach
the Delhi High Court seeking action against CBI officials to
protest the arrest of Bar Council of India member Rajendra
Singh Rana on charges of taking a bribe to grant affiliation
to a private law college.
"We are going to approach the Delhi High Court seeking
action against CBI officials in the matter as they violated
the guidelines of arrest and raids prescribed by the apex
Court in D D Basu case," spokesperson, coordination committee
of all bar associations of Delhi, Rajeev Khosla said.
The bar members are going to file case against "errant"
CBI sleuths who raided Rana`s residence here without
assistance from women police officials, he said.
The lawyers in all six district courts Tis Hazari,
Patiala House, Rohini, Karkardooma, Dwarka and Saket did not
appear in any matter, he claimed.
He said, lawyers did not appear even in courts in urgent
matters like bail and grant of stay etc.
However, a few lawyers were seen appearing in courts
The litigants and witnesses, in most of the cases, had to
return without any substantial work being performed and the
courts only adjourning the matter.
Rana, a BCI member, was arrested on December 20 from
outside the office of the statutory body while allegedly
taking illegal gratification of Rs one lakh from a man for
giving a favourable inspection report for grant of affiliation
to a private law college in Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!