Delhi LG forms a group of experts to tackle water problem
New Delhi: With Delhi facing acute water shortage, Lt Governor Najeeb Jung today formed an advisory group of experts that will work out an action plan and guide the government in tackling the issue.
The five-member advisory group of experts, to be chaired by Babubhai Navalawala -- a water expert and an adviser to Gujarat government on water issues, will guide Delhi Government on issues related to water management.
The advisory group was constituted by Delhi Lt Governor Najeeb Jung today to work out an action plan and create task forces which will execute specific plans and report to the unified command of the Advisory Group, officials in LG House said.
The LG highlighted three critical areas which require immediate intervention, in terms of water and sewerage planning and execution for Delhi. They are storm water drains disposing untreated sewerage into the Yamuna, developing the Yamuna itself and raising the water table in Delhi.
Apart from that, during a meeting today, Jung also approved a number of short term measures to improve the availability of water in Delhi, like setting up of water ATMs, facilitating sewer connections and releasing water to unauthorised colonies etc.
It was felt that the government must develop a long term master plan to address the water and sewerage issues in Delhi.
"We must draw from best practises and work out a comprehensive plan for Delhi which will be able to cater to the growing needs of the city," Jung said. The advisory group would meet on a monthly basis to review the progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls