Delhi Lieutenant Governor rejects call for removal of DCP Neeraj Kumar
New Delhi: Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna on Monday rejected the demand for removal of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of the brutal gang-rape of a paramedic student which has evoked nation-wide outrage.
Khanna, who is the administrative head of Delhi Police, said there was no need for removal of the officer and praised him for his expertise and experience.
When specifically asked about Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s demand for removal of Kumar, Khanna took a dig at her saying: "One is just trying to make cosmetic..(demands). Do this, do that. This is like Alice in Wonderland off with the hat."
"Remove this man, remove that man. What will it lead to? Will we be able to rewind anything by doing that? We will do our best professionally," Khanna, who is not known to have best of relations with Dikshit, said.
Kumar, he said, is a very experienced and able officer who was part of the detailed operation of security during the Commonwealth Games when Delhi was under serious security threat.
"When we were going for Commonwealth Games, Delhi was under severe security threat. He briefed all the participating countries. He was part of the operation to ensure security during the event. He was invited by the London Olympic Security organisation to come and share his security perception," Khanna said.
To a question on whether there was any pressure on him to quit, Kumar said he was "not a quitter".
"If we do only police bashing, if we do bashing system every day, it is not going to lead us anywhere...If sacking the police commissioner improves the safety of women, then do it every day," he said.
Asked about Dikshit`s demand for scaling down VIP security, Khanna said the decisions on deployment of security personnel are taken by the Union Home Ministry after detailed exercise and any cut in security deployment can only be made by it.
"I, as Lt Governor, do not decide on the issue. It has to be decided by the Ministry of Home Affairs. The deployment is always under constant review," he said.
The Delhi Police functions under the Union Home Ministry. The Police Commissioner reports to the Lt Governor as he is the administrative head of the force.
Khanna today ordered removal of two Assistant Commissioners of Delhi Police and ordered explanation from two Deputy Commissioners for not being able to prevent the gangrape of the 23-year-old girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical