Delhi Lokayukta asks city govt to review courtesy
New Delhi: Refusing to accept Delhi government`s rejection to accord him "courtesies" before the chief minister at state functions, Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin has sought a review of the decision.
The Lokayukta`s office, in a letter, asked the Delhi government to re-examine the issue, reiterating that courtesies should be extended to Lokayukta just after the Lt Governor and before the chief minister in "order of precedence" during state functions.
The review of the decision has been sought by the Lokayukta on the ground that the Delhi government could not provide it a copy of the `Warrant of Precedence` issued by the Home Ministry in 2005, citing which his earlier recommendation was rejected.
Sarin in his annual report last year had noted that often at state functions necessary courtesy is not extended to the Lokayukta who is "ought to be placed in the order of precedence" at par with the chief justice of a high court. He had referred to the Table of Precedence issued by the President`s Secretariat in 1979 in justifying his recommendation.
The Lokayukta office, citing the Table of Precedence, had noted that position of the state high court Chief Justices were placed at No 14, one slot above the position of the Chief Minister of the union territory in the list while Lt Governor`s slot was placed at No 11.
However, the city government, in January this year expressed inability to accord the Lokayukta position after the Lt Governor and before the Chief Minister, noting that it relies on the `Warrant of Precedence` issued by Ministry of Home Affairs on October 28, 2005 for according position to dignitaries at state functions.
"It is again submitted that the condition of service, salary, allowances, perquisites if the present Lokayukta who is a former Chief Justice are required to be same as those of a Chief Justice of High Court as per (Delhi) Lokayukta and Upalokayukta Act, 1995," the Lokayukta`s office said in the letter last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!