Delhi Lokayukta slams Delhi Finance department
New Delhi: Delhi`s Lokayukta on Friday came down
heavily on the city government`s Finance department, accusing
it of trying to "scuttle" an inquiry into a whistleblower`s
complaint alleging a Rs 129-crore scam involing tax liability
against Reliance Energy Ltd.
In an order, Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin said that
he had perused an anonymous whistleblower`s complaint alleging
that in a case of Reliance Energy, an Anil Ambani Group
company, a tax liability of over Rs 129 crore was levied in
However, 10 months later on an application filed by the
company in November 2008, an Additional Commissioner of the
Tax department had reviewed his earlier order and himself held
that the appellant was entitled to exemption from sales tax.
This was in conflict with the stand taken by the
Administrative department before the Delhi High Court that the
company was not entitled to such exemption.
He charged the Finance department with trying to scuttle
a preliminary inquiry into the charges by consistently
refusing to provide the requisite information to him. He gave
the department time till February 13 to provide a complete
record of office notes, orders and correspondence in this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested