Delhi Lokayukta slams Delhi Finance department
New Delhi: Delhi`s Lokayukta on Friday came down
heavily on the city government`s Finance department, accusing
it of trying to "scuttle" an inquiry into a whistleblower`s
complaint alleging a Rs 129-crore scam involing tax liability
against Reliance Energy Ltd.
In an order, Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin said that
he had perused an anonymous whistleblower`s complaint alleging
that in a case of Reliance Energy, an Anil Ambani Group
company, a tax liability of over Rs 129 crore was levied in
However, 10 months later on an application filed by the
company in November 2008, an Additional Commissioner of the
Tax department had reviewed his earlier order and himself held
that the appellant was entitled to exemption from sales tax.
This was in conflict with the stand taken by the
Administrative department before the Delhi High Court that the
company was not entitled to such exemption.
He charged the Finance department with trying to scuttle
a preliminary inquiry into the charges by consistently
refusing to provide the requisite information to him. He gave
the department time till February 13 to provide a complete
record of office notes, orders and correspondence in this
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'