Delhi Lt Guv promises care centres for distressed women
New Delhi: Promising to further improve security for women in the city, Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna on Friday said Delhi Police will soon open a number of care centres for providing temporary accommodation to women in distress.
At a meeting with representatives of a number of leading women`s organisations, Khanna -- the administrative head of Delhi Police -- said the force will do everything possible to make women feel secure in the city.
The Delhi Police functions under direct control of the Union Home Ministry and reports to the Lt Governor.
"All the security issues will be addressed to make women feel secure," Khanna said, addressing the third quarterly meeting with the women`s organisations where various issues relating to safety were discussed.
Senior police officials present in the meeting gave an account of steps being taken to improve security of women in the wake of the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old, which triggered massive public anger across the country.
Khanna said "reception-cum-care" centres are being opened by Delhi Police for providing temporary accommodation to women in distress. He said eight flats have been leased out by Delhi Development Authority for the purpose to Delhi Police.
National Commission for Women in partnership with NGOs will manage and run the "reception-cum-care" centres.
The meeting was attended by several women organisations including Jagari, Chetna, Maitri, Swastik Mahila Samiti, United Nation Women Association, Action NGO India, Justice Surender Bhandare Foundation and United Nations Population Fund.
Officials said the women`s organisations appreciated the police efforts` to improve safety following the December 16 gang-rape.
They said the organisations requested that the co-ordination meeting, which was supposed to be held at each of the 161 police stations to address issues relating to women safety, should be held regularly.
Khanna directed the senior officers of Delhi Police present in the meeting to issue instructions to the police stations for convening such meetings with women groups.
"Khanna`s efforts to improve security of women were highly appreciated by all the women groups," the officials said.
They said Special Commissioner of Delhi Police Taj Hasan will now hold regular meetings with all women`s groups on last Friday of each month in place of Sudhir Yadav, who has been transferred as DGP in Andaman and Nicobar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow