Delhi: Major crackdown on retailers indulging in malpractices
New Delhi: In a major crackdown, 67 teams of Food and Supplies department of Delhi Government raided over 560 retail outlets across the city following complaints of alleged over-charging and other malpractices.
Top officials said 137 retailers are being prosecuted for overcharging, violation of Packaged Commodities Rule, 2011 and for using faulty and uncertified weights and measures. These retailers on conviction may face imprisonment up to seven years.
Raids were conducted in the last few days and mainly vegetable traders were targeted following large number of complaints against them.
Commissioner of Food and Supplies department SS Yadav said the government has taken very serious note of the complaints of overcharging by retailers, sale of packaged commodities in violation of laid down rules and use of faulty measuring devices.
He said strict action is being taken against retailers involved in such malpractices.
"67 teams of comprising officers from Food and Supplies and Weights and Measurement department raided 563 retail outlets in different areas of the city," Yadav said.
He said government has warned the retailers of serious action in case they indulge in such malpractices. People may lodge complaint or seek information by calling helpline number 1967.
He said a maximum of 91 retail premises were raided in South Delhi out of which 20 were allegedly found to be involved in irregularities. In East District, a total of 84 retailers were raided out of which 19 were prosecuted for various violations.
Nine teams raided premises of 73 retailers in North district and seven teams raided 70 premises in South West district. Action against 21 retailers have been initiated in North district while prosecution has been initiated against 13 traders in South West district.
In New Delhi district, 69 retailers were raided out of which action is being initiated against nine while in Central Delhi, prosecution against 11 retailers has been initiated out of 51 traders who were raided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands