Delhi man dies of cops` beating, police deny claim
New Delhi: Three policeman beat a 67-year-old man to death for refusing to fork out money they demanded for letting him erect a Ramlila marquee in a park but police have denied the allegation.
Vimal Chaudhary, son of Iqbal Singh, alleged three policemen Sunday beat his father in a park in north Delhi`s Rohini Sector-3 area where he had organised a ground-laying ceremony for Ramlila.
"Following the attack, blood was oozing from my father`s mouth. My neighbours and I rushed him to a hospital where he was declared dead," said Chaudhary.
He said his father had procured permissions from the Delhi Development Authority and the police commissionerate for staging Ramlila in the public park but these policemen approached him and and demanded Rs.1-2 lakh before the tent was erected.
"When my father refused to give the money, they beat him," Chaudhary alleged.
However, police have denied Chaudhary`s allegation, saying none of the three policemen had any interaction with the deceased.
A police officer said, "It is yet to be ascertained why Singh`s family is levelling allegations against policemen. An inquiry has been set up and we are waiting for the post-mortem examination report of the victim to confirm the reason behind his death."
He said neither any external injury mark nor any bruise was found on the victim`s body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened