Delhi: Man gets life term for killing wife
New Delhi: A 31-year-old man who killed his wife as he suspected her of having an illicit relationship with a neighbour has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Virender Bhat sentenced Karamveer, a father of two, to life term saying the prosecution has established the presence of accused at the time of murder and he had failed to explain how and by whom his wife was killed.
"In my opinion the prosecution in the instant case has successfully established the presence of accused (Karamveer) in his house when the murder of his wife was committed. It was for him to explain to the satisfaction of the court as to how and in which manner his wife was got killed and by whom.
"Since there is no explanation at all coming forth from Karamveer in this regard, the only logical conclusion which follows is that it is the accused himself, who murdered his wife i.E. Deceased Anju," the court said and also imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on the accused.
Public prosecutor Aditya Chauhan, who sought death sentence for the convict, had told the court that he killed his wife on June 22, 2010 at her matrimonial home here, after coming to know that she had illicit relations with his neighbour.
After killing his wife, Karamveer himself had called the police that he had strangulated his wife to death over a quarrel.
However, the counsel for the accused had sought a lenient view saying there is nobody to look after the convict`s two minor children.
"Both the children are school going and have already lost one of their parents," the counsel said, adding that he himself is a young man of 31 years of age and has committed the offence in a fit of anger without any premeditation.
"In my opinion also, the present case does not fit in the category of rarest of rare cases, which warrants death sentence.
"The fact that the convict has two minor children, who have already lost their mother, also persuades me not to impose death sentence upon the convict. The suitable sentence for the convict would be life imprisonment," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing