Delhi: Man held for beating child worker to death
New Delhi: A man, who had beaten to death a
10-year-old child working in his `bindi`-making unit here, was
arrested on Thursday after a five-day hunt, police said.
Kaleemullah, a resident of Wazirpur, was nabbed from near
Inderlok Metro Station while he was trying to flee, DCP
(North-West) Meenu Choudhary said.
In the last few days, raids were conducted in local
hideouts of the suspect while a team was sent to his native
The incident came to light on April 16 when the caretaker
of a cemetery of Azadpur informed police that the body of a
child bearing injury marks has been brought there.
A police team seized the body and after inquiry, came to
know that the child along with three other children was
working with his uncle Kaleemullah at his `bindi`-making unit.
Choudhary said three months back Kaleemullah brought two
brothers aged 9 and 11 years old from Bihar by telling their
mother, a distant relative, that he will take care of their
food, education and accommodation in Delhi. The other two boys
met him here in search of work four months back.
"Kaleemullah used to brutally beat up these children
often and starve them for days to get the best out of them. He
used to terrify them so that they do not attempt to flee or
narrate their ordeal to anybody. He used to burn their skin
with hot iron rods for minor mistakes committed while on
work," the officer said.
On April 15, the victim child showed reluctance to work
as he was not feeling well and was unable to stand up on his
own. "Kaleemullah got infuriated and started beating him up
and banged his head on the wall several times. He succumbed to
his injuries and Kaleemullah fled the spot immediately," the
The other boys who witnessed his ordeal went into a state
of shock and went to some distant relative`s place in Wazirpur
and Bhalaswa. One boy was rescued the same day and the other
two a day after. All the three were sent to Mukti Ashram in
Ibrahim Pur after their medical examination.
Meanwhile, child rights NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan, which
runs the Mukti Ashram, said it will organise a candle light
vigil at India Gate tomorrow evening in memory of the murdered
child and to take a pledge to end child labour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi